|Terrorist Activities Perpetrated by "Eastern Turkistan" Organizations and Their Links with Osama bin Laden and the Taliban|
I. Terrorist activities committed by "Eastern Turkistan" elements in and outside the Chinese territory
The "Eastern Turkistan" force has a total of over 40 organizations. They have engaged themselves in terrorist violence to varying degrees, both overtly and covertly. Among these organizations, eight openly advocate violence in their political platforms. They are: "Eastern Turkistan Islamic Resistance Movement" in Turkey; "Eastern Turkistan Liberation Organization", "Eastern Turkistan International Committee", "United Committee of Uygurs' Organizations" in central Asia, and "Central Asian Uygur Hezbollah" in Kazakhstan; "Turkistan Party" in Pakistan; "Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement" in Afghanistan; and "Eastern Turkistan Youth League" in Switzerland.
1) Incidents of terrorist violence perpetrated by "Eastern Turkistan" elements over the past ten years in the Chinese territory mainly include:
On 5 April 1990, they killed and injured more than 100 civilians and soldiers in Barin Township of Kizilsu Kirgiz Autonomous Prefecture;
On 5 February 1991, the "Islamic Reformist Party" masterminded a bus explosion in Urumqi, killing and injuring over 20 people;
Between June and September 1993, the "Eastern Turkistan Democratic Islamic Party" carried out a series of bombings in southern Xinjiang, which led to more than deaths and injuries;
On 15 July 1996, the "Eastern Turkistan Islamic Justice Party" engineered a prison rebellion in Xayar County, killing 15 people and a riot in Yining on 5 February 1997, which resulted in over 300 casualties;
On 25 February 1997, the "Eastern Turkistan National Solidarity Union" staged a horrendous bomb explosion incident in Urumqi which involved nearly 100 casualties and in early 1998 the same group was responsible for 25 poisoning cases in southern Xinjiang, where over 40 people fell victim and four died;
In January 2001, Akbelbek Timur, an "Eastern Turkistan" terrorist who is now in custody, bought explosives in Kazakhstan and smuggled them into Xinjiang for attempted terrorist activities.
2) Incidents of terrorist violence's committed by "Eastern Turkistan" elements in recent years outside China mainly include:
In February 1997, "Eastern Turkistan" terrorists opened fire on the Chinese Embassy in Turkey, assaulted the Chinese Consulate-General in Istanbul and burned Chinese national flags;
On 5 March 1998, terrorists of the "Eastern Turkistan National Center" carried out bomb attacks on the Chinese Consulate-General in Istanbul;
In November 1999 and August 2000, the "Eastern Turkistan" elements were involved in the armed insurgence and invasion led by the "Uzbek Islamic Movement" into the southern regions of Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan respectively;
In May 2000, terrorists of the "Uygur Liberation Organization" set fire to the Chinese Commodities Market in Bishkek and murdered one person from China's Xinjiang, who was sent to Kyrgyzstan to investigate the case;
On 28 September, terrorists under the command of the "Uygur Liberation Organization" killed two Kazkh policemen in Alma-Ata;
In May 2001, terrorists of the "Uygur Youth Association of Kazakhstan" robbed in Alma-Ata a bank vehicle that carried banknotes.
II. The Relationship Between the "Eastern Turkistan" Terrorists and the Taliban in Afghanistan and Osama bin Laden
Osama bin Laden and the Taliban in Afghanistan have provided the "Eastern Turkistan" terrorist organizations with equipment and financial resources and trained their personnel. The basic facts are as follows:
1) The "Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement" (hereinafter referred to as ETIM) is a major component of the terrorist network headed by Osama bin Laden. Hasan Mahsum, the ETIM ringleader, is hiding in Kabul, Afghanistan and carries an Afghanistan passport issued by the Taliban. Osama bin Laden demanded that the ETIM stir up turmoil in the near future in the three Central Asian countries, namely, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and then stage an organized infiltration into China's Xinjiang. The "Turkistan Army" under the ETIM fights in combat for the Taliban in Afghanistan. This "Army" has a special "China Battalion" with about 320 terrorists form Xinjiang. The battalion is under the direct command of Hasan Mahsum's deputy Kabar.
2) The armed elements of the ETIM received training in terrorist training camps in Afghanistan's Kabul, Mazar-i-Sharif, Kunduz, Vardak, Kandahar, Heart, Shibarghan and other places. Some of these camps are directly under the control of Osama bin Laden and the Taliban and some are military bases of the "Uzbek Islamic Movement". The "Central Asian Uygur Hezbollah" is said to have a 1000-strong armed force and have training bases in Afghanistan. The "Uygur National Army" received battle training in July and August 1999 in the Taliban bases in Afghanistan. They practiced conventional weapons with live ammunition and learned the Taliban guerilla warfare tactics and terrorist skills such as assassination, explosion and poison-doping. After their training, the "Eastern Turkistan" elements have fought in combats in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Uzbekistan, or returned to Xinjiang for terrorist and violent activities.
3) In early 1999, Osama bin Laden met with Hasan Mahsum, the ETIM ringleader, and undertook to offer him financial assistance. Since October 2000, Osama bin Laden and the Taliban have provided the ETIM with 300, 000 US dollars in various ways, and undertook to cover all the expenses of the ETIM activities for the year of 2001. The activities of the "Central Asian Uygur Hezbollah" are also partially financed by Osama bin Laden.