|Secondary disasters after China quake force 110,000 people to relocate|
Special report: Reconstruction After Earthquake
WENCHUAN, Sichuan, June 17 (Xinhua) -- About 110,000 residents are moving from highly-dangerous terrain in Aba Prefecture of southwest China's Sichuan Province to safe shelters to avoid secondary disasters after the May 12 earthquake.
Wu Zegang, deputy party secretary of Aba, said the risks of inundation and geological disasters such as landslide will rise in the looming main flood season.
"The top priority of our relief work is to transfer the residents whose lives are menaced by secondary disasters to safer areas," Wu said.
Aba Prefecture, inhabited mainly by Tibetans and people of the Qiang ethnic group governs 13 counties including Wenchuan, the epicenter of the quake.
The Wenchuan County government last week asked 50,000 residents living in highly-risky mountainous areas threatened by secondary disasters to move out. They were ordered to seek shelter at makeshift accommodation centers before the rainy season began on June 30.
In nearby counties including Maoxian, Lixian, Heishui and Jiuzhai, about 60,000 people are also moving out.
Wu said the 110,000 residents are expected to be relocated by Wednesday.
The powerful 8.0 magnitude quake struck Sichuan Province with Wenchuan as its epicenter. In Wenchuan alone, 15,941 people were killed, leaving 7,662 missing and 34,583 injured.