100 Questions & Answers about China's Tibet
I. Tbiet is an Inalienable Part of China's Territory
1. What are the differences between the terms "Tibet," "Tibetan areas" and "Tibet and other Tibetan areas" that often appear in certain publications? Did there once exist in history a great unified Tibetan area?
2. Are there any historical facts providing supporting evidence that Tibet has long been an inseparable part of China?
3. Some people hold that Tibet is an "occupied country." Was Tibet an independent country before the founding of the people's Republic of China?
4. How did the so-called "Tibet independence" come into being?
5. Are the "Simla Conference" and "Simla Convention" legal?
6. Some self-exiled Tibetans claim, "We have our own national flag, army and currency. Tibet is worthy of the name of an independent country." What are the facts?
7. The 2000 Report on Human Rights published by the British Foreign Ministry claims that "Britain is the only country that does not recognize China's sovereignty over Tibet." What are the facts?
8. How was the Agreement on measures for the Peaceful Liberation of Tibet signed? What are its main contents? Did people from all walks of life in Tibet sup-port this agreement?
9. What was the Dalai Lama's attitude towards the Agreement on Measures for the Peaceful Liberation of Tibet at that time?
10. How did the Dalai Lama and his "government-exile" perpetrate their separatist activities?
11. Can China practice the policy of "one country, two systems" in Tibet? Or determine the status of Tibet through "plebiscite"?
II. Democratic Reform and Regional Ethnic Autonomy in Tibet
12. What kind of social system was in force under the Dalai Lama in old Tibet? Was the old Tibet really the last "Shangri-La"?
13. Why was the Democratic Reform implemented in 1959? How did it benefit the Tibetan people?
14. How was the regional ethnic autonomy implemented in Tibet?
15. Does Tibet Autonomous region have the right to formulate and implement local regulations?
16. Can Tibetan cadres in Tibet exercise their rights to participate in administration of national and regional affairs?
III. Economic Development, People's Livelihood, and Environmental Protection in Tibet
17. What changes have occurred in Tibet's economic development since the Democratic Reform?
18. What favorable policies have been implemented in Tibet by the Central Government?
19. What are the daily economic and living conditions of the Tibetan people?
20. According to the Dalai Clique, "The Chinese Central Government has gained more from Tibet than what it has given." Is this true?
21. Will, as asserted by the Dalai Lama, the western development policy lead to the colonization of Tibet and deterioration of its ecological environment?
22. What are the main factors that restrict economic development in Tibet?
23. When was the onset of modern industries in Tibet?
24. How can Tibet improve its highway transportation?
25. Why construct the world's longest plateau railway in Tibet?
26. Is Tibet equipped with modern postal and telecommunications facilities?
27. What problems have been resolved by the 62 aid-Tibet projects initiated by the Central Government?
28. What are the goals of the 'Yi Jiang Liang He' agricultural comprehensive development project?
29. What laws and regulations concerning environmental protection are enforced in Tibet?
30. How many nature reserves are there in Tibet?
31. Would you please give some background information on the Potala Palace, the first world heritage site in Tibet designated by UNESCO?
32. The Chinese government has been criticized for carrying out nuclear testing in Tibet, for damaging the local environment by its construction of water and electricity projects, and for draining the water from Holy lake. It has also come under fire for construction of buildings that are said to violate Tibetan traditions, and for excessive tree felling. Do these criticisms have any foundation?
33. The ecological environment on plateau is very fragile. What measures has Tibet taken to control environmental pollution?
34. What is the "Natural Forest Protection Project"?
35. In the new century, facing the western development and increasing energy demands, what effective environmental protection measures will the government promote?
36. Does Tibet have a long-term ecological environment construction plan?
37. What is the content of the two largest ecological environment construction projects already started in Tibet?
38. How will Tibet make use of solar energy to raise people's living standard and protect the environment?
39. What are the most important strategic points for Tibet in the process of western development?
40. What was the growth rate of Tibet's economy in 2000?
41. What are the development goals for the coming 50 years in Tibet?
42. What will be the changes in Tibet's policy of opening up to domestic and overseas markets?
43. How are Tibet's import and export sector going?
44. has Tibet established a foreign trade system compatible with international norms?
45. In which sectors is foreign investment expected in Tibet?
46. How is investment invitation work going in Tibet?
47. What international aid projects have been undertaken in Tibet?
48. What preferential policies does Tibet Autonomous Region offer to enterprises with foreign investment?
49. What foreign services can the local government of Tibet provide?
50. Where can foreign investors consult on Tibet's business affairs?
51. How can foreign investors apply for the establishment o investment projects in Tibet?
52. What documentation is required when applying for foreign investment projects?
53. What documentation is required for enterprise registration in Tibet?
IV. Population, Health, Culture, Education and Tourism in Tibet
54. What demographic changes have taken place in Tibet over the past decade?
55. The Dalai Lama states that the Chinese government has instigated mass emigration to Tibet in a bid to make the Tibetan people living in Tibet an ethnic minority. Is this true?
56. Is it true that, as declared by the Dalai Lama, 1.2 million Tibetan people were killed after the peaceful liberation of Tibet?
57. Is it true that the Chinese government forces sterilization and abortion on Tibetan women?
58. How many ethnic groups are there in Tibet, and what are their customs?
59. What is the medical and health situation in Tibet?
60. What are the developments and innovation in traditional Tibetan medicine?
61. What are the main theories of Tibetan medicine?
62. What are the famous Tibetan medicines?
63. What is distinctive about Tibet's ancient literature and arts?
64. What kind of a book is Gesar?
65. According to the agreement reached in 1951 between the central government and the local government of Tibet, the school education of Tibet would steadily develop. How has this development progressed up to now?
66. Is there any restriction on the study and use of the Tibetan language in Tibet?
67. It is said that large numbers of Han Chinese are pouring into Tibet, and that China is systematically destroying Tibetan culture. The Dalai Lama also claims that "Tibetan culture is facing destruction." Is that true?
68. What has been done to protect cultural relics in Tibet?
69. What efforts has China made to protect Tibet's cultural heritage?
70. How is China doing on Tibetology research?
71. Why was a collated Tibetan Tripitaka published?
72. How is the cultural life of the Tibetan people?
73. Living on the plateau, do Tibetan people have access to the latest news and information?
74. What is the background to the Sixth National Minorities Traditional Games and its subvenue in Lhasa?
75. What historical and scenic sites are there to see in Tibet?
76. What are the important Tibetan festivals?
77. What are the folk customs and taboos of the Tibetan people?
78. What procedures do foreigners go through to visit Tibet?
79. What are the routes for traveling to Tibet?
80. Tourist spots in Tibet are sparsely distributed and out of way. How does one get over the transportation problem?
81. What should one know about and prepare for traveling to Tibet?
82. What tour routes are now available for Tibet? What is the accommodation capacity of Tibet?
V. Religious Beliefs and Human Rights in Tibet
83. Are all Tibetans Buddhists?
84. What are the main characteristics of Tibetan Buddhism?
85. Some people claim that the Chinese government does not respect or protect the religious activities of various religious sects in Tibet. Is this true?
86. What are the main monasteries in Tibet?
87. Are Tibetans' rights of freedom of religious belief respected and protected in Tibet?
88. Are there any restrictions in monasteries for local inhabitants to become lamas and nuns in Tibet?
89. What is the reincarnation system of the Living Buddhas in Tibetan Buddhism?
90. Why did the Chinese government reject the reincarnated soul boy of the 10th Panchen Lama chosen by the Dalai Lama? Who was it exactly the violated the rituals of Tibetan Buddhism?
91. How did the titles Dalai and Panchen come into being?
92. What is the situation regarding human rights in Tibet?
93. How many Tibetan compatriots are there in foreign countries?
94. What are the policies of the Chinese government regarding Tibetan compatriots residing abroad? Are they allowed to come and go freely?
VI. Policies of China's Central Government toward the Dalai Lama
95. The Dalai Lama was awarded the "Nobel Peace Prize" abroad, and some people call him "guardian of human rights" and "advocator of non-violence." How would you comment on this?
96. What is the central government's view on the Dalai's "nonviolence"?
97. What policies does the Chinese government have towards the Dalai Lama regarding contacts and negotiations?
98. Why have the negotiations between the central government and the Dalai Lama made so little progress?
99. At present, the Dalai Lama is received by certain foreign governments and officials. What is the attitude of the central government towards this?
100. What is the viewpoint of ordinary Lhasa inhabitants regarding the Dalai Lama?