|Remarks by Counsellor Yao Shaojun on the ECOSOC Special Meeting on Inequality|
Let me thank the President of ECOSOC for convening this special meeting and the remarks of the panelists. China aligns itself with the statement delivered by Thailand on behalf of the G77 and China. China would like to make the following three observations.
First, more focus should be given to inequality among states.Currently, per capita GDP of developed countries is 8 times that of the average of developing countries with the gap widening in education, health and science and technology. Their disparity in influence and decision-making power in international political and economic fields is even greater. This represents the biggest inequality. The international community should scale up its efforts in implementing Goal 10 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to reduce inequality among countries, ensure greater representation and voice of developing countries in international economic and financial institutions, facilitate orderly, safe and regular flow migration, reduce the transaction costs of migrant remittances, provide ODA and foreign direct investment to developing countries, and promote fair and free trade.
Second, more attention should be paid to reducing economic inequality. Inequality should be tackled in a holistic manner including through policies in political, economic and social fields with clear priorities. Widening disparity in economic development is the fundamental reason for increasing inequality. In some countries, the richest 1% of the population possess more wealth than the remaining 99%. Development with the growing gap between the rich and the poor is not only unsustainable, but also inequitable and unjust. Countries should take measures to prioritize economic development, create enabling conditions to ensure their people enjoy equal opportunities for development, and make every effort to reduce economic inequality.
In the 13th Five-Year Plan on National Economic and Social Development unveiled not long ago, the Chinese government highlighted five concepts of development, namely innovative, coordinated, green, open and inclusive development. The new Plan emphasizes people-centered development so that our people will enjoy equal access to public services including education, health care and social protection, and have equal job opportunities, thus achieving development for all.
Third, we should forge a new type of international relations with win-win cooperation at its core and build a community of common destiny. Inequality is a global and long-term issue impacting development of the whole mankind. Its fundamental and long-term solution lies in building a new type of international relations centering on cooperation and win-win outcomes and a community of common destiny. We need to build partnerships in which countries treat each other as equals, and show mutual understanding and mutual accommodation. We need to develop a security architecture featuring equity and justice benefiting all countries. We need to pursue development prospects which are open, innovative, inclusive and mutually beneficial. We need to enhance dialogue among civilizations to promote harmony, inclusiveness, respect for differences and mutual learning. We need to build an ecosystem that puts Mother Nature and green development first. Only by so doing can mankind fulfill the dream of true equality for all.
Thank you for your attention.